Monday, February 14, 2011

Physi- phys- ph-... checkup

Just got out of my physical with my doctor, to complete that last piece of the application for me. It's funny that I've been seeing this doctor for something like 3 years, and the longest conversation I've ever had with her came about because she was so interested in our plans for adoption.

In fact, the nurse who did all the vitals before the doctor came in also wanted to hear all the details. So I told the story twice... about how we're hoping to find a sibling group, we're looking between ages 4 and 12 primarily, and we're looking to (probably) do it across state lines. I told the nurse that we'd been married almost 18 years, never able to have kids of our own, and since I just turned 40 we figured it was time to act on it or give it up. That's when I got the best compliment of the day:

"You don't look anywhere close to 40."

That made me feel 10 feet tall.

Anyway, I told them about AdoptUSKids.org, and how the wife and I have been "window-shopping" for children for the past few months. I even got into a discussion with the doctor over our previous experiences with children and what ages are most likely to be the most difficult to work with. We both agreed that 13-15 can be a real challenge.

At the end, she handed over the form, completely filled out, even though I never saw her write anything on it. She must have filled it out from my chart or something, then done the exam just to confirm what she already knew. Either way, we're off to the races. Wife gets her physical done Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment