Thursday, March 31, 2011

In the pipe, five by five

The pre-homestudy walkthrough went fine. We gave her a quick tour of the house, went through yet another questionnaire that repeated a lot of questions from the initial application we sent in a month or so ago, and had a short discussion about the process going forward.

We covered one question I was dreading…

"Are there any weapons in the house?"

"Why, what do you need?"

OK, I didn't say that, but I wanted to. She sounded reasonably certain that our various precautions were sufficient in that regard.

Shopping list:

Fire extinguishers
Smoke detectors
Child-resistant cabinet door latches
About a billion (give or take) of those little plastic dealies that you put in electrical outlets

The last one gave me pause. We're probably looking at first grade and up as far as age goes, and I kept trying to remember how old my brother was when he stuck mom's keys into the electrical outlet in our bedroom. Whatever, we'll buy the stupid things and just not use them if the kids we get are old enough.

Oh yeah, and the dogs are all going for booster shots. That'll be fun.

At this point we've got about a week or two while the latest questionnaire goes through channels, after which we'll be contacted by a contractor to do the actual home study, and we'll be given contact info about how to set up our parenting classes.

The whole thing still makes me grit my teeth, but I'm maintaining my calm.

3 comments:

  1. Continuing prayers for you guys. Thanks for sharing the journey with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't child proof. I parent. The fire extinguisher/smoke detectors are kind of important though.

    As far as weapons, you can totally stab someone with a pencil. Answering like that would probably not do you any favors, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with parenting vs proofing, but I'm not the one setting the rules...

    ReplyDelete